Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Golden Staph


It started on our first day in Sydney. I reach into my pocket to pull out some 2 dollar coins and I notice that my thumb tip feels a little tender. I look for a reason for the pain, but there's nothing to see. What I now know is that was the first sign that I had a truly painful, quick moving, and very hard to treat infection growing under my skin. Goodbye Sydney, hello Grandparents in Salamander Bay. First I was misdiagnosed with a fractured thumb, then a few days later told that it was a common infection, no worries mate. I got some antibiotics and some really strong pain pills that would make it better within two days. Two days later it was worse and needed to be drained. That should do the job. It's now been over a week. Rachel and I decide that I will be better now so it is time to move on to Brisbane. First night there I receive a call from my nurse practitioner Jason (who was wonderful) that I might as well have been taking candy to treat my infection. It turns out that I have an MRSA infection, more commonly referred to as Golden Staph. Almost all kinds of staph infections can be treated quickly with metacilin (may not be spelled correctly). The golden staph is a metacillin resistant strain that resists most treatments and medicines. I was luck that they tested the goo from my thumb or it would have gotten much worse. I went straight to the doctor in the morning who gave me the right medicine. Now its time to explain the picture. The doctor sent me to have my thumb dressed by the nurse. Apparently dressed means squeezing my thumb until I scream, hit Rachel, jump off the bed, and cry like I haven't cried in years. Once I sat down again the nurse said, “Oh yes, it did look a bit tender. Hold your breath and lets have another go.” I tried to let her do it again, but I couldn't, so she wrapped it up tight and Rachel snapped a picture.
It's doing much better now that I've been on the right medicine for 5 weeks. I don't need to wrap it up any more. Now is when I have to be patient and not play with it. Lately Rachel says it looks like a raisin. Uncle Ian says more like the end of a hotdog. I'm just happy that they didn't cut if off. I'll write more, but only if it gets worse.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alison - thanks for the update on the thumb. Are you still taking the medication? Keep that thing clean! I hope it hasn't changed too many of your travel plans. I remember when my luggage was stolen on vacation, we had to give up a few sites, but also had do more shopping. It was an acceptable trade-off.

Rachel - make sure she listens to her doctor! I hope you're having fun playing nurse.

Things are fine here. Today is Clark's birthday, and he is excited to sit in the front seat of the car, since his is now 12.

Take care!

Aunt Lisa

Anonymous said...

Gosh girl! What an ordeal! That MSRA is very dangerous. Last time I had it they almost hospitalized me. Be so very careful. Glad you have it under control.

Anonymous said...

Well, think of the story you can tell your grandchildren one day . . .

Miss you two very much. I'll try to call tomorrow late night NYC and see if I get through. Just know that you are in our thoughts and hearts! We're off to celebrate Evalyn's 60th next week. Perhaps we can catch up with you then, too.

In the meantime, throw a shrimp on the barbee for me!

Stephen