Saturday, February 16, 2008

King of the old gum tree


The birds, much like the rest of the landscape here, are really captivating. The noise is like waking up in Jurassic Park every morning. The bird calls and the trees that grow sideways, it's a bit prehistoric feeling. Being in this landscape makes me wonder what it looked like completly untouched. This photo is of a pair of Kukaburras, and that is actually a gum nut tree. Nan and Grandad have a handful of Kukaburras in the backyard. Their call is really great, and it does sound as if they are laughing. It's very much like a Muah!, without the M, and repeat the uah, uah, uah a few times. Make sense? Other birds habitating the backyard are the Minah bird, which has a bright yellow beak, and is really chatty and apparently a pain grandad says. They feed them the table scraps from dinner, (that might be why they like it here so much) which they pretend to fight over. The Kukaburra always wins. We've seen a few small parrots, which are really bright green. But they haven't stopped enough for photos. Every other morning there is a bird that sounds like a penny whistle, which might be my favorite. Although the Kukaburra does make me laugh every time I hear his uah, uah, uah, uah. We've packed or bags again, and are headed to the train later this evening: on to Brisbane! Goodbye to you Kukaburras, I'm sure they'll miss our portion of scraps, although they don't exactly look underfed do they?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Kookaburras! You did sing the song, of course! That takes me back to days long ago when the letter "g" had not yet found it's meaning. Kindergarten was something else, wasn't it. Remember the parachute game? Ever play it?

I'm missing you guys! Made a big pot roast last night. Quite good. AND i found a good recipe for chicken and smoked sausage Gumbo!! We like.

I'm glad to hear your thumb's been drained. Did you get any gross pics? MMMM! PUS!!

Love you both dearly.

Anonymous said...

the above anonymous is me!! I did it wrong. OOps!

Anonymous said...

Hello lovely ladies!

It has been great to follow your continuing adventures. Sorry, but I have a hard time blogging. ...but I missed you too much not to write. I guess you guys are in Brisben by now. I can't wait to see pics from the bus ride! I bet is was great. I hope that Alison has made a full recovery by now. It sucks to have an injury so early in the trip.

Things here a good. I was working too much, surprise, and let myself get stressed. But things have calmed down and I'm having a good time. We found out yesterday that Robert will indeed be coming with me and the Big Art Group to Paris in April. We are all way too excited. Dan is coming over for most of the trip and we are all staying 5 days after the tour to be all romantic and stuff. : )
Francesca gets into town today and she will be staying here for a week. I can't wait to see her again. And Todd has been doing loads of work on his plays so there is much fodder for good conversation. Okay, I know this is more like a letter than a blog response...but I couldn't help myself. I miss you!!!

Hillery

Unknown said...

The pics of the kangaroos and those birds are amazing! It seems like you guys are on a trip for National Geographic or something :) Hope you're having fun and that Ali's thumb heals up nicely. Keep those pics coming!
Love,
Hayde

Richard Laurence Baron said...

Isn't it time you reported in? It's Saturday AM here and I'm sitting in the Memorial CIty Starbucks trying out our new laptop...pining for some word for Oz. So get on it, eh? Love from Houston...yer Da.

Anonymous said...

Alison and Rachel, I heard that the thumb saga continues, please post so all of us can get the details. Bob and the boys and I are all fine except for Jack's sore throat (no fever). Bob's car is having problems, but I've been saying it's time for a new car for a while. Take care! Take your meds! Heal that thumb! (Good thing that you have another.)